Beyond Confusion Corner: Service and Civic Engagement in the City of Williamsburg
Wednesday, October 29th at 7pm in Morton 20
to quote from Long's e-mail..."Mayor Jeanne Zeidler, SA President Valerie Hopkins, and Social Services Director Pete Walentisch will engage students in a presentation entitled "Beyond Confusion Corner: Service and Civic Engagement in the City of Williamsburg". This is the city we live in for most of the year, and we all have a responsibility to be informed and active in our political decisions. A question and answer period will follow the presentation."
Food-Preparation Shift at the DC Central Kitchen
Friday, November 21 from 1:30pm-midnight at DC Central Kitchen
Organized by OSVS/Commuity Service Leaders...this is the blurb from the OSVS listserv:
*new* Nov 21: Interested in learning about alleviating hunger sustainably in the DC Metro Area? Volunteer for a food-preparation shift at the DC Central Kitchen (http://www.dccentralkitchen.org/) on Friday, November 21. A van will depart from campus at about 1:30pm and will return to campus around midnight of the same day. For more information and/or to sign up, email email@example.com! Join the Community Service Leaders for a great service opportunity!Housing Partnerships Update
Housing Partnerships Update:
have not heard back from Brandie Wieler (volunteer coordinator) about Fridays; Kate will send her an e-mail
- What are the causes of poverty in Williamsburg?
- Are they being addressed?
- If not, what can we do to address them?
- local poverty and its characteristics (ie: Housing Partnerships and FISH)
- local poverty research
- global poverty research
Goals for the End of the Semester:
- have research that can be put in a report or perhaps even more condensed format
- connect local poverty issues and research with what we discover about global poverty and solutions to global poverty
- come up with ideas about the causes of poverty in Williamsburg, and perhaps direct the group to influencing Williamsburg practices regarding poverty (end of year)